Sunday, October 5, 2008

Some Cyclocross Races


I have wanted to compete in Cyclocross ever since I first saw it years ago, and I finally decided this would be the year to do so. I thought it might be a good idea to watch a race in person first and attended the Ed Sander Memorial Cyclocross on September 28th. The race is held annually at the beautiful Lilypons Water Gardens in Adamstown, MD - an aquatic water garden nursery.




The conditions were perfect for the race as it had been raining for several days, finally clearing up that morning.







The winner in Category 4, which is the "novice category" or the category which I will compete in, was Alex Driscoll racing with Adventures for the Cure.








Another competitor that I actually raced against and was beaten by the next weekend was 14 year-old (I think) Justin Mauch racing with National Capital Velo Club.











This past weekend, October 4th, I competed in the Breast Cancer Awareness Cyclocross Challenge held at the Hagerstown Sports Complex in Hagerstown, MD. They have not yet posted the results, but I won't make you hold your breath - I think I finished 2nd or 3rd from last. But I learned much , specifically that lower tire pressure is a good idea on wet grass (handling mishaps in turns caused me to slide out of control and/or crash numerous times)and that a late night and 2-hour drive prior to racing is not a good idea. In the end I had a blast though. I'll report the actual finish later.



Next weekend I will compete in the Carlisle Regional Medical Center Iron Cross VI race in Pine Grove Furnace State Park in south central Pennsylvania. It is a 62+ mile XC cyclocross adventure race. Wish me luck.

Lars

No comments: